Monday, June 11, 2018

New Wave - the beginnings

New Wave was a genre of music that begin in the late '70s and continued throughout the '80s.  It is different from classic rock, disco, R and B, etc.  I am going to write a series on it about the most popular songs.

It is impossible to define exactly, but usually it has electronic sounds, a fast beat and catchy words, with a little angst, and likely to be heard in a club in the '80s.

What was the first New Wave song?

Devo came out with "Secret Agent Man" in 1974, but it is horrible and impossible to listen to.
Jocko Homo is likewise horrible.
"I can't get no Satisfaction" is a remake of The Who classic song, but it is still unwatchable.
"Whip It" was their break-out hit in 1980, which gave them a cult following.

The Knack came out with No. 1 hit, "My Sharona" in 1979, so I think this was the first popular New Wave song to hit the top 10.

But there are lots of other ones to look at.
Mink DeVille, "Cabretta" came out in 1979, but it sounds more R&B to me.
Dead Boys, "Sonic Reducer" (1977) is more punk rock..
The Runaways and Joan Jett ("I love Rock n Roll", "Crimson and Clover", "I Hate Myself for Loving You") are also more punk.
"Dancing Queen" by Abba, came out in 1977, but that is more disco.
The Ramones, I think, qualifies as New Wave, but I can't find any songs I am familiar with, other than "Do You Want To Dance", which is a rock version of a '50s song.
"Psycho Killer" by Talking Heads, came out in 1977, but I have never heard of it before.

Peter Gabriel wrote "Solsbury Hill" in 1977  but doesn't have enough of a beat, and it also could be considered R and B, so I am not sure it qualifies.

Elvis Costello, "Welcome to the Work Week" came out in 1977, but I haven't heard it before.
David Bowie - "Heroes" also is from 1977, but obscure.
Kraftwerk - Trans-Europe Express is from 1977, and is more electronic.
Iggy Pop - "Nightclubbing" is from 1977, but I think it is too obscure.
Blondie came out with "Denis" in 1978, but that sounds more like a '50s song.

So was there a popular New Wave song before My Sharona?

To be continued...

Update: What about The Cars, "Just What I Needed", which was released in 1978?  Is this the first popular New Wave song?

No comments:

Post a Comment