Monday, November 18, 2019

Battle of the Sliders

A slider is an American term for a steam-grilled sandwich, typically around 2 inches (5 cm) across, made with a bun. The term primarily refers to small hamburgers, but is sometimes used to describe any small sandwich made with a slider roll.

For this purpose, I will include any sandwich that sells for $3.09 or less (without tax).

Carl's Jr.  I ordered a jalapeno double cheeseburger at a cost of $3.23 (with tax).  It was fantastic, possibly the best burger I have ever had in my life.  I think this is already the winner, but I will see what the competition is.  The nutritional profile is: 580 calories, 22g protein, 39g fat, and 36g carbs.

Chick-Fil-A.  I ordered the chicken biscuit at a cost of $3.34 (with tax).  It was very good, just like the original chicken sandwich, but smaller, and with a biscuit instead of a bun.  The nutritional profile is: 460 calories, 23g fat, 19g protein, and 45g carbs.  I added mayo and ate one of the biscuits with honey which upped the calories count even more.  Overall, very tasty, but it was a small size.  I think it took 5 bites to eat it.  So the value proposition isn't there.

Subway.  I bought an Italian Spice Slider for $2.04 (including tax).  Nutritional profile: 230 calories, 14g fat, 8g protein, and 18g carbs. It is cute and small, about 1/6th the size of Subway's footlong.  It is 2 large slices of pepperoni, 2 slices of salami, and I customized it with half a slice of provolone cheese, about 5 olives, parmesian cheese, oregano, and garlic aioli sauce. It comes on a "telera" roll, which is a word I haven't heard before.  Very chewy, kind of like an English muffin, but different.  It is very tasty, the price is right, and the calorie count is right.  I've criticized Subway before saying you couldn't eat it on a diet, but if this was what you were eating, it is a perfect fit.  Overall, I have an excellent impression.

No comments:

Post a Comment