Wednesday, January 11, 2012

What makes a city futuristic?

I love lists and I am preparing a list of cities that seem like they are from the future. What are the factors that make it so?

1. Vision. I'm looking for a website and videos that express its vision of the future. Just by being there, or looking at it, you should feel amazed and positive.
2. Not too big, not too small. Bigger is usually not better, so I am arbitrarily setting an upper limit of 5 million people (sorry Hong Kong). Also, it should have enough people to actually be a functioning city and not just a vision, so I am arbitrarily setting a lower limit of 100,000 people.
3. Skyscrapers are good. Also iconic buildings.
4. Pedestrian-friendly. Monorails or other people-moving systems are good. Cars are ok, as long as there are not massive traffic jams.
5. Green areas. Fountains are nice.
6. Planned cities are nice. Bonus for capital cities.

No comments:

Post a Comment