Saturday, August 23, 2014

More Marie Harf



More classic Harf.  UNWRA discovers missiles in a Gaza school, and calls the local police, who give the missiles back to Hamas.  Harf defends UNWRA's actions.

Jump to 2:04.  Haughty responses and sarcasm in italics.
=============================================
Reporter:  But can you see to uh an outside observer how this sounds a little bit, this sounds a bit bizarre?

Harf: Well maybe to an outside observer who doesn't have all the facts or understand the details here. But, uh, I think I just laid out for you that we don't believe that this is an acceptable outcome. That UNWRA is operating in a very difficult situation, and there weren't a lot of good options here, and we are working with them to try to figure out a better uh outcome in the future.

Reporter:  Right. But um the facts are pretty clear. UNWRA discovers missiles .. rockets in its school. It informs .. condemns it and informs the UN obviously and hands them back over to the people who are shooting them into Israel.

Harf: Well, let's not make sweeping generalizations.  They .. they've told us that they gave them to the local police.

Reporter: But the local police in Gaza are Hamas.

Harf: Ok, well, Matt, I'm sure UNWRA can provide more details about who specifically they gave them back to, but I would be careful about making sweeping generalizations, and I would check with them about who specifically they were given to.

Reporter: Ok, well, if say that it was unacceptable then I'm assuming that it .. it was uh unacceptable. But anyway you ended up still ---

Harf: I do tend to mean what I say yes.

Reporter: Exactly. You say it's unacceptable but you won't say why its unacceptable. Right?

Harf: I don't have more for you this second.

Reporter: But then you go ahead and announce the fifteen million dollars to this very organization.

Harf: Because it's an important organization.

Reporter: I understand.

Harf: Those two things aren't mutually exclusive.

Reporter: So maybe the question is this, what would have been an acceptable outcome in this situation.

Harf: Well, I'm not going to outline specifically what that would have looked like.  We're looking at what acceptable outcomes might look like in the future. I don't have details.


No comments:

Post a Comment