Saturday, September 24, 2016

Burger King on a diet

This is part of a series on how to eat at fast food restaurants when you are on a diet.

Today I review Burger King.  Here is the dinner:

Double Cheeseburger, hold the ketchup, hold the bun: 350 calories, 18g fat, 20g protein, 27g carb. It was very bready, so I think taking off the bun saves 25g carbs and 100 calories.  So call it 250 calories.  Cost $1.69.

Bacon Cheddar Ranch Chicken Salad,with grilled chicken, hold the dressing, hold the croutons: 334 calories, 14g fat, 36g protein, 16g carbs .  I added my own olive oil, and added salami slices, but I am ignoring that in the calorie count.  Cost $5.49.

Total: 584 calories, 32g fat, 56g protein, 18g carbs.  This is 49 points. Cost with tax $7.75.

Review: The cheeseburger was very tasty, and had the whopper taste, although it was very small without the bread.  Much smaller than the Wendy's Double Stack.  I think maybe a Double Stacker would be a better comparison, but that is $2.49, and I am trying to compare hamburgers under $2.00.  The grilled chicken was good and warm but the rest of the salad was blah, with just lettuce, a couple of tomato slices and a little cheese.  I think most people would use ranch dressing on it, which would add a couple of hundred calories, but I am too smart for that.  The service was very slow, even though the restaurant wasn't that busy and I recommend going through the drive-thru which takes priority.  There are a ton of menu items, and these are obviously the ugly step-children.

Would I do it again?  No, unless I didn't have an option nearby.  The service was so slow.  Like I said the cheeseburger was very tasty, but it was tiny.  The value proposition is just not there.  The salad was just basic, but on the plus side it didn't have any extra carbs to trigger my sugar-loving tastebuds.  I felt like a hacker, choosing lesser known items and modifying them.  Still the meal was filling and it fit within my macros.  It is fast food, it was on my diet, and it was tasty.  But other options are better.

No comments:

Post a Comment