Monday, September 26, 2016

Chick Fil-A on a Diet

This is part of a series on how to eat at fast food restaurants when you are on a diet.

 Today I review Chick Fil-A. Here is the dinner:
 Chick-Fil-A Sandwich, hold the cheese, hold the bun.  I ordered the regular instead of the deluxe to reduce the price.  I'm not worried about the cheese.  438 calories, 18g fat, 28g protein, 41g carb.  The bread was nothing special, and I think there is carbs in the chicken, so I will count the bun at 25g carbs and 100 calories.  I added mayo and hot sauce, but not counting those. Cost $3.29.

Spicy Southwest Salad, without tortilla strips, with chile lime vinaigrette.  The salad is 435 calories, 19g fat, 34g protein, and 32g carbs.  Removing the tortilla strips removes, 72 calories, 4g fat, 8g carbs and 1g protein. The Vinaigrette adds 63 calories, of which 3g are fat and 9g carb.  Total: 426 calories, 18g fat, 33g protein, and 33g carbs.  Cost $7.69.

Total:  764 calories, 36g fat, 61g  protein, 49g carbs. Total with tax $11.91.

Review: Chick-Fil-A is very delicious as expected, and if we were judging only on taste it would dominate.  The Chick-Fil-A sandwich is much higher in carbs then I was thinking, and so was the salad, which has corn and beans, and corn syrup, since I had the dressing, but it wouldn't taste the same without it.  The salad also seemed a bit skimpy in the chicken area.  I think the seeds must add protein. I would recommend switching to the grilled chicken, but that is a step up and now we would be comparing the premium grilled chicken sandwich at Wendy's etc.

Verdict:  Sorry, this is a failure.  The chicken sandwich, even without the bun, has way too many carbs.  And the price is too high.  Would I eat there again?  Absolutely.  But I wouldn't pretend that I was on a diet.  The whole purpose of this experiment is to find a cheap protein source and eat a few carbs as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment